Adaptogen herbs are quite an amazing type of healing plant which can help our stress response by modulating cortisol and normalising our physiological function. Possibly one of the best known is ginseng of which there are several types. My first experience with Siberian ginseng was about 23 years ago when going through a period of fatigue post virally and was fortunate enough to live beside Scotland’s first qualified Medical Herbalist Brian Lamb. Brian started me on Siberian ginseng among other things which had me firing on all four pretty quickly. Since then, I have been a firm advocate and have been fascinated by the quite remarkable benefits of these herbs which I wouldn’t be without in my own life.
1. Siberian Ginseng or Eleutherococcus senticosus. My personal favourite and one I’ve used many times with success over the years. Research has shown that eluthero can significantly improve energy, mood, stamina and cognitive function. It has also been shown to modulate blood pressure. One example is a study of those with chronic fatigue which showed benefit especially for those with mild to moderate symptoms.
2. Ashwagandha has been shown to improve memory and learning and is also the most researched adaptogen for those with underactive thyroid. In Ayurvedic medicine it is seen as an all round tonic and used to promote fertility. Some studies have shown cognitive benefit for those with bipolar disorder and also an improvement in cholesterol and blood glucose in diabetes.
3. Rhodiola has been researched in relation to its impact on stress and depression. In a study of people with stress related burn out, it improved many associated measures including stress and depression. One study has suggested that Rhodiola showed favourable results versus Zoloft (sertraline) with less associated risks for mild to moderate depression. Because of the lack of side effects, some have suggested it be used in place of antidepressants which do come with side effects and also deplete certain nutrients.
4. Shatavari is an interesting adaptogen and has many uses. The word literally means ‘woman who has a thousand husbands’ and is traditionally given for fertility and improved libido, vaginal dryness and is useful in the prevention of osteoporosis. It is also widely used as a woman’s herb and has been shown to be an excellent galactagogue for low milk supply. For menopausal women, it has also been shown to improve libido.
5. Holy basil is lesser known but becoming more mainstream perhaps due to the availability of Pukka Tulsi tea which is becoming popular. Also known to boost energy and cognition, there are studies showing improvement in generalised anxiety. Tulsi has been shown to have broad spectrum antimicrobial activity in studies.
6. Astragalus is a fascinating herb with many effects and research has suggested it may have anti-tumour activity, blood sugar lowering effects and supports the immune system. It has been shown to prevent colds and flus and is particularly beneficial for upper respiratory infections. Some studies have looked at the cancer protective effects.
7. Cordyceps is an adaptogen which is lesser known among the public but is gaining recognition across many pathologies. It is actually a type of fungi or medicinal mushroom which, similar to the above also has immune modulating effects and supports the stress response. You may come across it in supplements to support stress or adrenal function. It also has anti-tumour effects and is indicated for respiratory infections and chronic fatigue. More and more research is coming out on the effects of mushrooms in cancer prevention and indeed mushrooms are widely used in mainstream medicine in Russia, China and Japan.
If you would like to find out more about adaptogens or find out which might be the most relevant for yourself, come and see us at 44 St Andrew Street, Aberdeen.
Terranova Astragalus, Elderberry & Garlic Complex capsules
£11.30 - £19.20
Astragalus is an adaptogenic herb which has been traditionally used to support the immune system.
TWO VEGETARIAN CAPSULES TYPICALLY PROVIDE:
Astragalus Root 350mg
Elderberry (fresh freeze dried) 150mg
Garlic (fresh freeze dried – ORGANIC) 125mg
Olive Leaf (fresh freeze dried – ORGANIC) 75mg
Oregon Grape Root 50mg
Elderflower (fresh freeze dried) 25mg
Maitake Mycelia (fresh freeze dried) 25mg
Stabilized Rice Bran 15mg
Cayenne Pepper (fresh freeze dried – ORGANIC) 10mg
Larch Tree Arabinogalactan 225mg
NO FILLERS, BINDERS OR OTHER EXCIPIENTS
SUITABLE FOR VEGETARIANS & VEGANS
NO WHEAT – NO GLUTEN – NO CORN – NO SOY – NO YEAST – NO DAIRY – NO GELATINE – NO ANIMAL INGREDIENTS – NO ADDITIVES – NO ADDED SUGAR – NO COLOURS – NO FLAVOURS – NO PRESERVATIVES
£16.95 - £29.95
Wholistic™ Shatavari is a concentration of the finest parts of whole shatavari root gathered from fertile organic soils. Expertly created to help maintain feminine rhythm this broad-spectrum formula contains the highest organic grade, sustainably cultivated herbs, carefully selected to bring you the full potential of nature’s goodness.
£16.95 - £29.95
Wholistic™ Ashwagandha is a natural formula to nourish the mind and relax the nervous system.
As busy modern living puts increasing pressure on the mind, it can leave us feeling tense, overwhelmed and in need of some recuperation. Ashwagandha, the herb of modern life, is one of Ayurveda’s most prized adaptogenic herbs; it is known as ‘rasayana’ meaning rejuvenate. It has been used for centuries to moderate the body’s response to stress, bringing both energy and inner calm. By nourishing a worried mind and relaxing the nervous system, the body is rebalanced and ready to tackle life’s challenges.
Pukka’s organic Wholistic™ Ashwagandha uses a unique extraction process to retain all 45+ active compounds. This ensures a powerful, concentrated extract that maximises the synergistic benefits. Pukka’s Ashwagandha has been proven to provide a:
Each daily serving (2 capsules) gives you 20% NRV of iodine:
Mushroom Gold is based on three edible mushrooms – organic Maitake, Reishi and Shiitake. Rich in Vitamin D*, these mushrooms have been used for centuries to help support a healthy ecosystem. We ensure that the fruiting body and mycellium as well as the extra-cellular metabolites are blended to deliver the concentrated polysaccharides and beta-glucans.
This broad-spectrum formula contains the highest organic grade, sustainably cultivated herbs, carefully selected to bring you the full potential of nature’s goodness.
*Each daily serving gives you: 248% NRV of Vitamin D naturally occurring in mushrooms.
Vitamin D contributes to the normal function of the immune system and process of cell division.
Amazon Associates Disclosure
Nourishing Insights is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk.
WHAT OUR CLIENTS ARE SAYING
“I did Nutritional Therapy with Beverley and it was life changing. I highly recommend it!” Allison Blakely (Glasgow)
44 St Andrew Street, Aberdeen, AB25 1JA
Tel: 01224 969637
Opening Hours: Sun- Mon: Closed
Tue to Fri: 10am-3.30pm